What is an Education, Health and Care Plan Needs Assessment?

An EHC needs assessment is a detailed look at the special educational needs (SEN) of a child or young person (YP) and the support he or she may need in order to learn. Local Authorities are responsible for carrying out EHC needs assessments under the Children and Families Act 2014.

The needs assessment brings together information about:

  • What a child/YP can and cannot do
  • The special help they need

It includes information from:

  • The parent/carer
  • The child/YP
  • The early years’ setting, school or college
  • Other professionals who work with or support the child/YP
  • Educational Psychologist

The assessment is to see if your child/YP may need an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP). An EHCP is a legal document written by the Local Authority. It describes the special educational needs that a child/YP has and the help that they will be given to meet them. It also includes the health and care needs related to education and the provision that is needed when it relates to the SEN. You can read more about EHCP’s in our booklet ‘An Overview of EHCP’.