1. My child/young person (CYP) has been put on a reduced timetable is this legal? In very exceptional circumstances a CYP can be put on a part-time/reduced timetable, for this to happen there needs to be full agreement from the parent/ carer and Head Teacher. It needs to be temporary with a time limit stating when it will end and regular meetings with the educational setting to see how they are going to get the CYP back into full time education. Whilst they are on a reduced timetable the school should be seeking outside advice from other professionals to see what more they can do to support the CYP and increase the reduced timetable back up to full time. If the CYP has an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) it may be that an early review needs to be called


2. I’ve been asked to take my child/young person (CYP) home for lunchtime, should the educational placement be doing this? If the educational placement is requesting you pick your CYP up at lunchtime you can say no to this unless they are formally fixed term excluding them. In this case a lunchtime exclusion must be recorded as a half day exclusion, you must receive a letter from the educational placement about this. You and the placement should be working together to get your child back into school at lunch time and reduce the fixed term exclusions. For more information read our Exclusions Booklet.


3. The educational placement has told me that my child/young person (CYP) can only have SEN support or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) with a diagnosis. This is not correct. A CYP does not need to have a diagnosis to receive SEN support or an EHCP. A CYP only needs to be identified as having a special educational needs.


4. The educational placement is not providing any SEN Support for my child/young person (CYP). The code of practice says educational settings have to use their ‘best endeavours’ to make sure that a CYP with SEN gets the support they need. A CYP with SEN should have a SEN Support plan in place following a four-stage cycle Assess, Plan, Do, Review called the graduated approach. The educational placement should review your child’s progress and the difference that the help has made. Every mainstream school gets a basic funding entitlement to support children with SEN. Arrange a meeting with the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) and class teacher at your child’s setting to discuss. For more information read our SEN Support booklet.


5. Who can apply for an Education Health and Care needs assessment? A child’s parents, a young person over the age of 16 but under 25, or a person acting on behalf of a school or post 16 provision. You can request an EHC needs assessment by writing a letter to the Local Authority or you can fill in a form on this website.


6. The educational placement has told me that my child/young person (CYP) isn’t bad enough for an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and wouldn’t qualify for one, is this correct? No, this is not correct. There are legal tests and criteria that a local authority must use in determining whether a CYP needs an EHCP or not. This is done on a case by case basis using evidence provided. For more information on the EHCP needs assessment see our booklet.


7. I have been told that an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is just a piece of paper and nothing is ever done with it, is this right? No, this is not correct. An EHCP is a legal document that details your CYP’s needs and the provision to support those needs. Legally an educational setting must comply with what is written in the EHCP. It is the local authorities’ responsibility to make sure the EHCP is funded appropriately, followed and legally compliant.


8. I have my child/young person’s (CYP) draft EHCP, what should I do now? This is your chance to check that everything you expected to be in the plan is there and to tell the local authority EHCP Co-ordinator if you think that there is anything missing or wrong. It is also the chance to request what school you would like your CYP to attend and for the EHCP to name. See our booklet - Reading and Understanding an EHCP available on our website.


9. Whose responsibility is it to provide my medically unfit child/ young person (CYP) with an education? Children and young people with medical conditions are entitled to a full education. In the first instance it is the educational setting that the CYP is on roll at. The governing body must ensure there are arrangements in place to support pupils with medical conditions. The Local Authority (LA) is responsible for arranging suitable, full- time education for children of compulsory school age, who because of illness, would not receive suitable education without such provision. The LA should be ready to take responsibility for any CYP whose illness will prevent them from attending school for 15 or more school days consecutively or cumulatively.


10. How can I get information, advice and support? You can contact the helpdesk at Norfolk SENDIASS on 01603 704070 or visit our website to book yourself an appointment with one of our advisers.

Download FAQ